16 - 19 Student Financial Support
The 16-19 Bursary Fund is government funded scheme intended to support those young people who need financial help to stay on at school. The Bursary Fund is money that the student, or the school, can use to pay for things like books, meals, transport, UCAS fees, study trips or travel for university interviews. The school is responsible for awarding bursaries to students.
Some students will automatically be entitled to a bursary of up to £1,200. These groups are listed below:
- Students in care or have recently left care
- Students claiming Income Support or Universal Credit
- Disabled young people who receive Employment Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance
We can also award discretionary bursaries to other students facing genuine financial difficulties. The three levels of eligibility criteria are:
- Students in receipt of Free School Meals. For students living in Cheshire West, further information on eligibility for Free School Meals can be found at www.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk
- Students who are not eligible for Free School Meals but whose household is in receipt of Tax Credits or Universal Credit
- Students who require financial support for transport to school
If you think you may be eligible to apply for a Bursary, please read the 16-19 Bursary Fund Statement which can be downloaded below. This gives full details about the eligibility criteria and the evidence needed to support your application.
How to apply
Please click here to access the online 16-19 Bursary application form. Applications should be submitted by 14th September 2020, however, students can apply for a bursary at any time during the academic year should their circumstances change. Please note that a new application must be made each academic year and that all applications will be dealt with in confidence.
If you have any questions, please contact the Sixth Form Administrator, or email the Finance Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Students living in Wales
The 16-19 Bursary fund applies to students resident in England only. Students who live in Wales can apply for an Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA).
Please go to www.studentfinancewales.co.uk
Please note that an application for bursary funding does not mean automatic entitlement.