16 - 19 Student Financial Support
The 16-19 Bursary Fund is government funded scheme intended to support those young people who need financial help to stay on at school. The Bursary Fund is money that the student, or the school, can use to pay for things like books, meals, transport, UCAS fees, study trips or travel for university interviews. The school is responsible for awarding bursaries to students.
Students who are in the following groups may be entitled to a bursary of up to £1,200 depending on their circumstances and benefits:
- Students in Local Authority care or who have recently left Local Authority care
- Students claiming Income Support or Universal Credit
- Students who receive Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments in their own right as well as Employment Support Allowance or Universal Credit in their own right
We can also award discretionary bursaries to other students who are facing genuine financial difficulties. We will base all decisions on each individual’s circumstances and their actual financial need. Broadly, the three main eligibility criteria are:
- Students in receipt of Free School Meals. For students living in Cheshire West, further information on eligibility for Free School Meals can be found at www.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk
- Students who are not eligible for Free School Meals but whose household is in receipt of Tax Credits or Universal Credit or other means tested benefits
- Students who require financial support for transport to school or other educational costs
If you think you may be eligible to apply for a Bursary, please read the 16-19 Bursary Fund Statement which can be downloaded below. This gives full details about the eligibility criteria and the evidence needed to support your application.
How to apply
Students must complete the 16-19 Bursary Application form and provide the necessary supporting documentation.
Please click here to access the online 16-19 Bursary application form. We do understand that needs may arise throughout the academic year. As such, we do not implement a cut-off date for applications, but wherever possible, all should be submitted by 14th September 2021 to guarantee the first payment in October 2021. Please note that a new application must be made each academic year and that all applications will be dealt with in confidence.
If you have any questions, please contact the Sixth Form Administrator, or email the Finance Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Students living in Wales
The 16-19 Bursary fund applies to students who are resident in England only. Students who live in Wales can apply for an Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA).
Please go to www.studentfinancewales.co.uk
Please note that an application for bursary funding does not mean automatic entitlement.